Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Mel Waldman- Three Poems



AMONG THE LILACS


By Dr. Mel Waldman 



I sit with the oval silence & the cold sterile night,
an orphan without soothing light or fire,

inside my frozen cage, the frozen prison of my false self,

alone, in late November,
naked & alone inside an unreal place,

empty & alone, ensconced in a barren battered landscape,
my raw chilling unreality,

vacant & alone and vanishing in the House of the Dead,

until I hide among the lilacs, a chimerical field of lilacs,
a meadow of hot lilacs in pink, white, & purple,

& safe among the sultry lilacs,

I survive,
I am,
&

I kill the monster inside the oval mirror,
I kill



JABBERWOCKY REVOLUTION


By Dr. Mel Waldman



The rebels are everywhere,
hiding in dark corners and cul-de-sacs,
or strolling in the park, pushing baby
carriages, and breastfeeding babies
on a dog day afternoon;

the jabberwocky revolution has begun;

even the sun refuses to rise at dawn on
certain unfathomable days and some
nights, the rebellious moon, after an
adolescent temper tantrum, swirls
into another universe, and doesn’t return
to our skies until it’s in the mood for
love or madness, leaving humans in the
dark and almost invisible;

the rebels are everywhere; even old folks
refuse to die and rock ’n roll beneath a
full moon returning from beyond.
for a night of freaky fun




THE 3 A.M. STATION

TO

NOWHERE


By Dr. Mel Waldman  



In the labyrinth of the night,
at the 3 A.M. station to nowhere,
I swallow the intoxicating past,
in an overflowing cup of nostalgia

&
catch a runaway train through the
Twilight Zone,

sailing across inner space,
death-bound,

&
fueled with madness,

&
I see the Queen of Duality,
my Janus-faced femme fatale
that
looks
2 ways,

her dark brown eyes beckoning me to
leap out the window of imagination

&
join her in the world beyond,

&
when I plummet into nowhere,
she is there beside me, holding my hand

as
we
fall,

&
when I kiss her pulchritudinous face and full lips, soft
and crimson,

what shall I rediscover-
flower children or assassins,
the face of love or death,
peace or war?

In that fateful moment,
what shall
I know
about
myself?



Dr. Mel Waldman is a psychologist, poet, and writer whose stories have appeared in numerous magazines including HARDBOILED DETECTIVE, ESPIONAGE, THE SAINT, PULP METAL MAGAZINE, YELLOW MAMA, and AUDIENCE. His poems have been widely published in magazines and books including LIQUID IMAGINATION, A NEW ULSTER, THE BROOKLYN LITERARY REVIEW, THE BROOKLYN VOICE, BRICKPLIGHT, THE BITCHIN’ KITSCH, CRAB FAT MAGAZINE, DEAD SNAKES, SKIVE MAGAZINE, ODDBALL MAGAZINE, ON THE RUSK, POETRY PACIFIC, POETICA, RED FEZ, SOUL-LIT, SQUAWK BACK, SWEET ANNIE & SWEET PEA REVIEW, THE JEWISH LITERARY JOURNAL, THE JEWISH PRESS, THE JERUSALEM POST, HOTMETAL PRESS, MAD SWIRL, HAGGARD & HALLOO, ASCENT ASPIRATIONS, and NAMASTE FIJI: THE INTERNATIONAL ANTHOLOGY OF POETRY. A past winner of the literary GRADIVA AWARD in Psychoanalysis, he was nominated for a PUSHCART PRIZE in literature and is the author of 11 books.



No comments:

Post a Comment