Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Brittany Zedalis- Two Poems


Midnight Eyes

During a trek through a frigid woodland,

something flashed before my eyes, white,

ripping me from silent solitude,

an owl starkly contrasted against the earthen tones,

I watched, devoted and inquisitive of this enigma

as its claws touched down just before me,

midnight eyes fixated on my own, motionless,

my feet fastened to the soil beneath,

I struggle to pull myself free, to reach beyond the barrier,

while the creature continued to stare, in such silence

that I was sure I must have been deafened,

my fingers outstretched, straining,

longing for just one connection, however brief,

and with the distance scant between,

its wings spread in blinding light, vanished,

restoring my solitude



Quietus

Today, as the clock strikes twelve,
 
I am thrust through starlight and nebulas 

back to an era long since past, 

where freedom rang from the sky above 

and your voice was the very foundation beneath my feet, 

your long, slim fingers grasped my hands, 

lifting me from perdition into light,
 
again I am swept away into memory, 

as once again you lifted me up, 

instead in this moment it was to cheers
 
and tears fell down your cheeks in pride, 

violently I am ripped from peace, I remember, 

the consistent clicking of machines and staff scurrying by, 

anxious, waiting, pacing, 

then relief so brief filled my heart as yours continued on, 

but in finality, I stumble into the darkness, 

 your heartbeat beating on so slowly 

that I felt mine would stop if a moment of silence passed, 

and suddenly I am choking, I am pleading for air and life 

while reaching for those long, slim fingers that once lifted me up, 

I crash, and I am fallen.


Brittany Zedalis is a writer residing in North Carolina. She has been writing poetry for many years and it is a part of her down to her bones. Previously, her poems have appeared in The Camel Saloon, Haiku Journal, Mad Swirl, Leaves of Ink, Verse Land, and in one E-Zine interview.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment