Saturday, July 18, 2015

Caitlyn Bove- A Poem


Caitlyn Bove is a high school senior and poet from the San Fernando Valley in California. She has participated in writing workshops across the country including the Jonathan R. Reynolds Young Writers Workshop at Denison University. She is a member of an award winning slam poetry team in Los Angeles. 



Adopted
 
To me a dad is the man who raises you
Someone with bedtime stories for goodnights and adoring nicknames for days
A father is the man who provides the second set of chromosomes that create you
If this is true, 
I only have a father.
A close friend who I see for holidays and family tree homeworks.
Someone I call Uncle.

I want his Subaru when he buys a new one.
This isn’t me being completely self-centered
It’s me attempting to fulfill the pleading of my sister 
His other daughter
She wants me to have car very badly.

I do not know much about him
And I don’t know how much he knows about me 
So I don’t want to say anything that will offend our memories

He’s not in great health
You see, 
they keep finding cancer on his forehead
Even his “HELLO” printed band aid can’t cover the fear that stains his skin

All I know is that
chances are, 
he won’t be alive to walk me down the aisle
Or dance with me like nobody’s watching
even though a hell of a lot of people are

Plus I might not even get married until my mid-life crisis
and by then he will definitely be gone.
He’ll probably be scattered across the Andes
or just on a bookshelf in his husband’s house
The structure they’ve shared for so many years 
5 birds, three turtles, one dog 

He will be there for his son’s wedding though
Not his real son
Just his ex-wife’s new son
He’s in  his thirties now
and already balding


I’d like to think of you as more than a sperm donor.
So,
Happy late birthday Uncle Bill 
You, Daryl and Baxter make a beautiful family.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Love This Faustus Σ>―(〃°ω°〃)♡→

    ReplyDelete