Friday, June 3, 2016

Scott Thomas Outlar- Three Poems


Roaring into a Calm
  
This lust
is the zero-point
of sweet salvation

This tongue
is the highest wave
of pure form chaos

This truth
is the apocalypse
seeking to rise

This bed
is the new home
where Winter is braved

This God
is the electric pulse
that passes between us

This kiss
is the alpha stage
where flesh is tamed

This dragon
is the roaring sign
of golden fire

This moment
is all I need
to whisper love


Sucking Vapors
  
Back when I was a child
riding around with my buddy
as his Dad drove us home
from the baseball field,
whenever we’d pass a cemetery
he’d tell me to hold my breath
or else the spirits of the dead
would enter my body through the lungs.

I’d play along and pretend as if
I believed such dire warnings,
occasionally having to really go the distance
if we happened to get stopped at a streetlight
situated directly beside a graveyard.

These days I’m a bit more daring
and open to the occult,
so as I drove by a cemetery plot earlier today
I took a big huff of oxygen,
inhaling as many ghost fumes as possible
because I’m constantly in search
of the next fresh dose of inspiration
no matter where the energy might originate.

It’s a bit odd though,
as ever since I’ve had an intense craving
for cornbread and black-eyed peas,
as well as a strange urge to call Frank
and tell him to turn the stove off.

All I can think of now is: Who the hell is Frank?

(originally appeared in Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine)



Scary Story
  
I will die

the same as
my father died

and his father
before him

Once those facts
are laid out
on the table
from the opening gambit
there isn’t much
left in this life
that could give me
The Fear


Bio:
Scott Thomas Outlar hosts the site 17Numa.wordpress.com where links to his published poetry, fiction, essays, and interviews can be found. His chapbook "Songs of a Dissident" was released in 2015 through Transcendent Zero Press and is available on Amazon. His poetry collections "Happy Hour Hallelujah" (CTU Publishing) and "Chaos Songs" (Weasel Press) are both forthcoming in 2016.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment