Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Heather Gelb- Two Poems



Fragrant Garden of Melancholy

I was always the one who
Pleaded for all moods to
Smile for the camera while I
Handed out cheery dispositions
With my collection of
Rose-colored glasses.
I completely identified with the
Perky persistence of Joy
In the movie "Inside Out".

But one day I found a friend
Who wore her disposition for gloom and doom
Like a brooding character from a Burton film or
A line from one of Keats’s Odes.
When I looked at her I saw
Smudgy rings around the moon,
And turned my head to the sun
While offering her my rosy lenses.
She absolutely  refused to smile through the tears. Instead,
She cared enough to gently refuse the glasses and
To invite me to visit sadness  seated
On the cloudy charm of melancholy.
I hesitated, tried to armor myself
With fragrances of joy and sunny mornings,
Then finally took the plunge into her inner world.
I felt immense awe and respect walking through the
Fragrant garden of melancholy,
Open to the mingling scents of
wistfulness, reflection, and windowsills sprinkled with
Wilted roses and tears.

And I finally  understood that it really is ok
To experience sadness fully
In order to feel authentic and
Just get on with life.


-------------------------------------

Scent of Rosemary

The piney scent of rosemary
Lingered on her fingers
As she adjusted her hat and
Set up her easel to
Paint a memory that I have
Never seen from my window.
Even her choice of
Lines and colors reflected a reality
That some college campuses would 
Confine to a Designated Safe Area.
Spiders crawled nearby with
Enough poison to bring down
Dozens of pink elephants, and
Snakes slithered though the thorns
Clutching cameras in their toothy mouths
Ready to photoshop another story to
Spread to the masses.

But still that artist with
The  floppy hat comes to paint
Her truth, leaving behind the
               Scent of rosemary.


Brief Bio: I often feel like a gazelle as I leap from hilltop to hilltop.
On one of these hills I recently publish my memoir, my spiritual journey from the hills of one land to another:  http://www.amazon.com/From-Hilltop-Path-Rwanda-Israel/dp/1937623076
One of my poems based on this book was  featured in the fall edition of Poetica Magazine.
I have also published stories and poetry in other various publications like Green Panda Press, Deronda Review, Jellyfish Whispers, Stepping Stones, IJN and Esra Magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment