Friday, April 15, 2016

Charles Rammelkamp- A Poem


The Man

Giddy with the approaching blizzard,
the girls at the Starbucks on Boston Street
where I go after my morning swim,
greeted me with the enthusiasm
usually reserved for a long-lost relative,
and, already knowing my standard order –
venti latte – checked the box on the cup,
wrote my name in black marker:
“Charles The Man,” underscored twice.

In another week I’ll be a grandfather,
and isn’t this what I always feared?
Cute girls regarding me as harmless,
unthreatening, cuddly as a stuffed toy,
no longer in the sexual arena?

But I was flattered to be noticed,
remembered – I felt the love.
And I’m still a sucker for pretty girls.


4 comments:

  1. I love this poem! Of course as an outsider to the specifics here, I think the baristas really thought you were hot and thought you should know! OF course when I, more than a decade older than author or speaker of this poem, get flattering comments, I make the same assumption--they're saying let's make this granny happy. And it sort of does. Kudos, Charles, for capturing this in a terrific poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I thought only woman looked in the mirror and thought where did the years go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent directness in language of human connection and reflection.Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In perfect stance
    as a lover
    Charles knows a bacchanal,
    so give him cover!

    ReplyDelete