Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Tom Hatch- A Poem

What do I have to do for her love?
 
What do I have to do
Become an Acapulco cliff diver
To make you happy
Climbing up to the top is hard enough
Then the courage even to look
Down drives me to drink
And you expect me to have it too (the courage or maybe the drink too)
My youthful colleagues don't have a problem
They dive like they have rucksacks
Full of money
Currency spending spent pouring, pouring
Out of their sacks into the sea below
This is the way they dive fearless
Off the cliffs all the money in the world
 
One after another they fly
Maybe I should have started at the edge of the pool
Worked my way up to a diving board at least
Then maybe…
I slouch as I approach the ledge
The smell of the smashing breakers
Way down below the sound of swish
Makes me intoxicated invigorated
Standing tall my toes are curled
Over the verge 
I look good in my diving suit
It's tightness and the fresh air
Causes a thorough hardness
 
I'm on that cliff hard and huge
Isn't this enough?
But my gigantic enormousness gives me
A giant hit of confidence spreading
My arms stretching out like the angel of death
I lean forward I can see the largeness very bold
I lean farther toward the open air 
That will fly me to the sea oh the smell
Panting racing heart
O graciousness no turning back
It's time for my Titanic to set sail
I hit the water just as the breaker has filled
The grotto to its fullest ever...ever
Does this make you happy? Oh yes it does.
 
 
 
Bio 

Tom paid his dues in the SoHo art scene way back when. He was awarded two NEA grants for sculpture back then. And taught at various colleges and universities in the NYC metro area in art (including Princeton and U of Penn. in Philly). He is a regular at The Camel Saloon, Dead Snakes and BoySlut. He has published at The Mind[less] Muse, Jellyfish Whispers, Napalm and Novocain, Rusty Truck and Pyrokinection among others. He lives in CT with a few farms up and down the road works in Manhattan. His train ride to and from NYC is his solace, study and den where it all begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment