Monday, March 10, 2014

Donal Mahoney- A Poem

Man Around the House

Marvin's a man who never 
does anything he doesn't have to. 
One day, however, to the delight 
of Miriam, his wife, he became 
useful around the house. 

Marvin was a whirlwind, 
making wonderful meals, 
doing the dishes and laundry, 
vacuuming carpets, performing 
without complaint all the tasks 
Miriam had done without help 
for more than 40 years.

One evening, after a sumptuous dinner 
and elegant dessert, Miriam decided 
to compliment Marvin as he  
stacked the dishwasher carefully
so as not to break her china.

"Marvin, I'm astounded at all 
you are doing. I'm appreciative. 
I thank you from deep in my heart."

Marvin scratched his head 
and kept loading the dishwasher. 
Finally he cleared his throat and said,

"Miriam, my energy is temporary
If you hadn't lost your legs
in that car accident,
I wouldn't be doing any of this.
Once you're back on your feet, 
I'm going back to my recliner forever
And I don't want to be disturbed."

Miriam smiled. She was pleased  
she would get her old Marvin back, 
the churl she loved beyond belief,
once her prosthetics arrived. 
She wanted to please him again.

"Your legs should be here 
in time for Christmas.
Maybe we can go to church. 
You can roast the turkey. 
Wake me when it's ready. 
I want everything back to normal." 

Now Miriam knew for certain 
her Marvin had not disappeared. 
He was just doing his best to be nice, 
something he hadn't done 
since their courtship after World War II. 
He had knelt in the snow 
to propose, her ring in hand, 
a day Miriam will never forget 
and Marvin will never remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment