Monday, February 22, 2016

Leilanie Stewart- Three Poems


Leilanie Stewart's poetry has been widely published in magazines in the UK and US. Her debut poetry collection, A Model Archaeologist, was launched in 2015 with Eyewear Publishing. More of her work has appeared in the Best of the Web Storm Cycle Anthology 2014 and the Robin Hood Book: Verse versus Austerity. She currently lives in London with her writer and poet hubby, Joseph Robert. Leilanie blogs at www.leilaniestewart.wordpress.com



CHILD OF KRAKATOA

In 1883
She said to me-
Run for it, child!
Anak, anak,
I’m going to Krak

Krakatoa
gonna blowa
gotta goa


TICK THE RIGHT BOX

I’m not white
Backwards and forwards: one dimension
I’m not black
Left and right: two dimensions
I’m not brown
Up and down: three dimensions
Am I yellow?
But what is the fourth dimension?
I’m not red
Travel through time: fourth dimension
I am mixed
The fourth dimension
is only science-fiction



THE REDUNDANCY OF TAUTOLOGY

If carbonaceous meteors
only contain
5% carbon
then why are they called
carbonaceous?

And if the word crepuscule
means twilight, or dusk
then why not simply say
evening?

This is all counterintuitive
like saying pusillanimous
instead of cowardly

Then again,
if we eliminated all the lions
because we have tigers
there’d be an imbalance
in the ecosystem

Wouldn’t there?

Miaow!

Pussy-lani-muss.

No comments:

Post a Comment