Friday, April 24, 2015

Donal Mahoney- Three Poems


Bells from the Cathedral
 
How do you tell
a wife you love
there are Spring days
in raw Chicago
bright with sun
and the boom
of bells
from the Cathedral
how do you tell
a wife like that
there are Spring days
you wish you had a girl
 


From The Train Going Home

As we roar over and by
the oaks are as still
as the pond they surround
 
Only the swans
on the pond
are moving
 
Then from an oak
a buckshot of crow
cawing and leaving
 


Each Morning
 
It is not the position,
not the money,
not the opportunity.
It is breakfast
with my steaming tea,
my rolls,
my periodicals,
my wife pouring, buttering, keeping quiet,
my shower, towel, shirt and tie,
my selection of that tie and
that tie’s winding,
my good-bye.
 

 
Donal Mahoney lives in St. Louis, Missouri. 

No comments:

Post a Comment