Sunday, April 12, 2015

Daniel Klawitter- Two Poems



The Virtue of Brevity
 
Socrates:  By Hera, Gorgias, I do like your answers.
They couldn’t be shorter!
Gorgias:  Yes, Socrates, I daresay
I’m doing it quietly nicely.
-From Plato’s Gorgias.
 
 
Oh those long-winded preachers
I grew up listening to in the South!
 
On and on they’d beseech us—
With diarrhea of the mouth.
 
If you can’t say it in 15 minutes,
Then I have but one retort:
 
No sinner has walked out on a sermon
Because it was too short. 
 


This Is Your Brain
On Philosophy
 
…for us learning is no other than recollection.
-Plato, Phaedo.
 
Recollection requires a memory,
So protect your head from trauma!
 
If learning is just remembering,
Then be moderate with marijuana.
 
 
 
Bio:  Among other things, Daniel is the lead singer/lyricist for the indie rock band, Mining for Rain, and a member of the Colorado Poets Center.  His full-length poetry collection, A Poet Playing Doctor, will be released in the fall of 2015 by Alabaster Leaves Publishing.  To learn more, visit:  http://about.me/dklawitter  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment