Friday, May 13, 2016

Michael Zone- A Poem



The Kraken's Eye

the kraken lies beneath the sea
stalking prehistoric prey
with an aquatic eye
eons ago
it’s pretty much the same today
great are the myths
I walk the apartment complex at night
listening for sex
later to sit in my living room
in darkness
with sweetened tea in my lap
assembling fragments
 in the sweetness of being
(love’s labor lost, reminisces of desire, imaginary lusts for fulfilled)
the kraken emerges from his cave
attacking merchant ships, pirate ships, cruise liners
the menace from beneath the sea
thought extinct
flat on my back
staring at an off-white ceiling
Being? Being, what? Being in time? Being, just to be?
Or how about just being fucked?
tentacles don’t discriminate
especially when fifty feet wide
rending beings of all: class, creeds, races and species
limb from limb
billions of years and the kraken hasn’t changed
all that much
just under four decades…
I’m depleted
(bound, chewed up and hammered)
I pick up a bottle at the liquor store
the kraken’s eye acknowledges me


Michael Zone is the author of Fellow Passengers: Public Transit Poetry, Meditations & Musings and Better than the Movies: 4 Screenplays. His work has been featured in 616-Zine, Triadae Magazine and The Voices Project. He lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan with his cat.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment