Thursday, January 14, 2016

Heather Gelb- A Poem


The Charm of a Pufferfish

A bumpy balloon with
Remarkable resemblance to an
Ordinary bloated toad,
Accelerating through perceived dangerous waters,
Taunt skin protected with
Spikes sharpened with glaring judgement,
Dipped in poison strong enough to cut off
All communication between
Executive function and an empathetic heart.
And yet…
The child reverses the
Transformation and
Draws with a steady hand a
Deflated, smooth fish
Floating with grace and beauty,
Wearing colors that reflect the
Opulence of  flora thriving in an
Underwater heaven.
Charmed, I’m sure, sighs the child as he
Tucks his treasured picture under
His pillow.
---------------------------


Brief Bio: I often feel like a gazelle as I leap from hilltop to hilltop. 
On one of these hills I recently publish my memoir, my spiritual journey from the hills of one land to another:  http://www.amazon.com/From-Hilltop-Path-Rwanda-Israel/dp/1937623076
One of my poems based on this book was  featured in the fall edition of Poetica Magazine.
I have also published stories and poetry in other various publications like The Mind[less] Muse, Green Panda Press, Deronda Review, Jellyfish Whispers, Stepping Stones, IJN and Esra Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment