Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Donal Mahoney- A Poem

Maggie and Max

Our son married a flibbertygibbet,
my wife says, and I agree,
but he loves Maggie very much
so I say let's keep quiet
It's not our place to criticize.
Max is 33, and not long
back from Iraq. 
I remind my wife
that Maggie can cook 
better than most 

so let's give her a chance. 
Max works two jobs
and he's never home.
Maggie's young.
Maybe the baby will help
but I doubt it.
Too bad Maggie 
didn’t take to quilting,
my wife points out.
The ladies at church

did their best to teach her.
But quilters, I remind her, 
don't go out at midnight
to places nobody knows.
My wife keeps asking 
why Max married Maggie.
I don't know what to say.
Finally I tell her I never saw 
any woman walk like Maggie.
My wife says I never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment